You’ve got several options for posting a photo, my little friend.
On the web: First, open a new photo post form. From there, you can either:
- Click the camera icon to upload images from your computer.
- Drag files directly from your desktop into the post form.
- Or click the globe icon to post a photo from a specific URL.
Tip: To add click-through links, hover over the photo and click the link icon that appears in the top right corner.
Another tip: Take a selfie using your webcam by clicking on the li’l smiley face.
Privacy tip: When an image that contains EXIF data is uploaded and posted as a Photo, your Dashboard will automatically display that image’s EXIF data. If you don’t want your images’ EXIF data to be shown, see if your camera lets you disable EXIF data.
You can also remove EXIF data from your images before you upload them to Tumblr. Learn more about this here.
On mobile: In the mobile apps, you can post photos in a couple of ways. You can:
- Open a new photo post form. Take a photo, or upload one from your camera roll. Done. These aren’t even really instructions. These are just statements. That’s how easy this is.
- Insert a photo when making any type of post, simply by tapping the camera icon and then taking or selecting your photo.
You can also add one of our dynamic filters to any photo taken in the Tumblr app. Here's how:
- Tap the pencil at the bottom of your screen for creating a post.
- Select the GIF, photo, or video post type.
- Tap the camera at the top of your screen.
- See that disco ball? Tap it to view and scroll through the filters.
- Once you find one you like, just tap again to capture your content.
And here's another tip: To add a sticker or text overlay to your photo, click or tap the icons that appear below the photo once you've selected it.
It’s embarrassingly easy to post a photoset.
On the web: Just pop open a new photo post and do one of the following:
- Drag more than one file into the post form.
- Select more than one file when you’re uploading a photo.
You can choose up to 10 images. Then just drag them around to create the layout you want. If you’ve already added photos, you can add more by clicking the camera icon below them that says “Add another.”
Tip: If you hold down the alt/option key, the camera icon turns into a globe and you can add more photos from the web via URL instead of uploading from your computer.
Another tip: You can caption individual photos in a photoset, if you want. Just hover over the photo in question and click on the ellipsis in the corner. Alas, people will only see these captions if they happen to click on the photo in the dashboard. So...don’t put anything actually important in there. Unless you want to hide it like buried treasure, that is. Buried treasure is pretty important.
On mobile: Just pop open a new photo post and tap up to 10 images. Tap "Next" to confirm each selection, then "Next" to get back to the post form. Tap & hold photos then drag them around to create the layout you want.
You can also add photosets within any post type. Tap the camera icon and then follow the instructions above.
If you're having issues uploading photos, check out our Image troubleshooting article.