You’ve got several options for posting a photo, my little friend.
On the web: First, open a new photo post form. From there, you can either:
- Click the camera icon to upload images from your computer.
- Drag files directly from your desktop into the post form.
- Or click the globe icon to post a photo from a specific URL.
Tip: To add click-through links, hover over the photo and click the link icon that appears in the top right corner.
Another tip: Take a selfie using your webcam by clicking on the li’l smiley face.
Privacy tip: When an image that contains EXIF data is uploaded and posted as a Photo, your Dashboard will automatically display that image’s EXIF data. If you don’t want your images’ EXIF data to be shown, see if your camera lets you disable EXIF data.
You can also remove EXIF data from your images before you upload them to Tumblr. Learn more about this here.
On mobile: In the mobile apps, you can post photos in a couple of ways. You can:
- Insert a photo when making a post, simply by tapping the camera icon and then taking or selecting your photo. You can also pick a recent photo from your camera roll by tapping any photo you see in the strip at the bottom of the post.
- From the dashboard, swipe right or tap the camera icon to open the camera. From there, take your photo, or choose one from your camera roll. There are also some editing tools available in this view; read more about them here.
You can also add one of our dynamic filters to any photo taken in the Tumblr app. Here's how:
- Tap the pencil at the bottom of your screen for creating a post.
- Tap the camera or video icon.
- See that disco ball? Tap it to view and scroll through the filters.
- Once you find one you like, tap again to capture your content (hold to capture video).
And here's another tip: To add a sticker or text overlay to your photo, click or tap the icons that appear below the photo once you've selected it.
It’s embarrassingly easy to post a photoset.
On the web: Just pop open a new photo post and do one of the following:
- Drag more than one file into the post form.
- Select more than one file when you’re uploading a photo.
You can choose up to 10 images. Then just drag them around to create the layout you want. If you’ve already added photos, you can add more by clicking the camera icon below them that says “Add another.”
Tip: If you hold down the alt/option key, the camera icon turns into a globe and you can add more photos from the web via URL instead of uploading from your computer.
Another tip: You can caption individual photos in a photoset, if you want. Just hover over the photo in question and click on the ellipsis in the corner. Alas, people will only see these captions if they happen to click on the photo in the dashboard. So...don’t put anything actually important in there. Unless you want to hide it like buried treasure, that is. Buried treasure is pretty important.
On mobile: Open up a new post and do either of the following:
- Tap up to 10 images from the media picker to add 'em. Drag and drop your pictures to rearrange, then tap "Post."
- Tap the camera icon, and then tap the checkmark to select up to 10 images from your camera roll. When you're done, tap "Next" to get back to your post. Tap and hold photos then drag them around to create the layout you want before hitting "Post."
If you're having issues uploading photos, check out our Image troubleshooting article.