First, it’s helpful to know that the GIF maker is mobile only.
- Open up a new GIF post form.
- Create a new GIF by tapping in the “Camera” area and then pressing and holding the camera button (iOS) or tapping the video camera icon (Android). You can also make a GIF by selecting an existing video or a burst.
- Then you can drag the blue box underneath the GIF to shorten its duration, pinch the screen to crop the GIF, adjust the slider at the bottom of the screen to decide how fast you would like it to play, and tap the circular arrow to toggle between loop and rebound.
- Tap "Next" to further edit your GIF. To add a sticker, text, or filter to your GIF, tap the square, letter, or magic wand icons that appear below it.
- Tap “Next” again and your GIF is pre-selected and ready to pop into your post when you hit “Next.”
Some helpful tips for your GIF-ing:
- The shorter your GIF is in duration, the smoother it will appear.
- Speed up a slow-mo GIF to 3x or 4x to make a nice-looking normal-speed GIF.
- Tap the rebound button once to make your GIF go back and forth, twice to make it run in reverse.
- You can select multiple GIFs from the photo post form to make a photoset.
If you're having issues uploading GIFs, check out our Image troubleshooting article.