To post a GIF on web:
Just open up the post form and, in any post type, click the “GIF” icon. Type to search for GIFs on a particular subject, and click to add GIFs to your post. If you change your mind, just hit the X to delete.
If you're having issues uploading GIFs, check out our Image troubleshooting article.
To post or create a GIF on mobile:
In the mobile apps, you can search for and post a GIF, or create your own. Note that GIF creation is only available in the Tumblr apps. Here’s how:
- Tap the pencil to create a new post, then tap the “GIF” icon.
- From here, you can choose one of the popular GIFs displayed, tap the magnifying glass to search for a GIF, or use “+Create a GIF” to make your own.
- Tapping “+Create a GIF” opens up videos stored on your device’s camera roll.
- Tap to choose a video to GIF-ify, then select a 3 second clip using the slider. Then tap “Next.”
- On the next screen, you can choose your playback speed and the type of playback (like looping or reversing your GIF). Then you’ll have the option to add stickers, text, or filters to your GIF.
- Finally, you’ll be taken back to your post, where you can add additional content, text, or tagging before you publish.